Celebrating Our Past, Honoring Our Present, Preparing Our Future
Charter Members of The Stowe Legacy Society
Jamie and Phil Greer
John and McGlade Holloway
Jim and Nancy Hoover
James and Konnie Kretlow
Fr. John and Joanne Palarine
Art and Frances Shults
Robert & Rebecca White
Chuck and Mary Hornbuckle
Chuck and Nadia Mead
Sarah and John Bailey
Ed and Carol Hartunian
The Morrow Family
John and Nina Searcy
Harry and Ruth Daniels
Carolyn and Lyle Vernier
Bob and Nadine Flemming
Ed and Millie Witt
Neil and Kiki Rood
Jack and Ellen Fisher
Pat and Paula Hubbard
Howard and Linda Segal
Don and Barbara Scott
The Stowe Legacy, honors the memory of Calvin and Harriett Beecher Stowe who were instrumental in starting this congregation in the late 1800’s. The society acknowledges donors that have donated to build the Foundation of the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour, which will help fund the church various missions and programs.
Membership into the society can be achieved in one of two ways:
• A gift of $25,000 to the Foundation of the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour.
• An indication of a testamentary gift to the church, preferably to the Foundation of the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour.
No other commitments or dues will be asked of members. As part of The Stowe Legacy Society, you will share in the company of those who are committed to ensuring that the church will continue to thrive and grow. Membership to the Stowe Legacy Society is always open.
The Stowe Legacy Society Window
To help express gratitude to its members, the Stowe Legacy Society is undertaking to building an acknowledgment wall, drawn from the history of the church: The Stowe Legacy Society Window. The Stowe Legacy Window returns the once magnificent window back to Church of Our Saviour. It celebrates the church’s past and evokes the hard work and sacrifice in making the original window a reality. It also honors the members of the Stowe Legacy Society whose contributions will provide for the church as it faces future challenges in spreading God’s message
In 1880, Church of Our Saviour was formally organized. The congregation grew from Bible readings at the home of Prof. Calvin E. Stowe and his wife, the famous author Harriet Beecher Stowe. In 1882, the congregation spent $121.75 to purchase a small lot of land in Mandarin.
They built a wood frame church that was first used on November 4, 1883. Although the Stowes never had the opportunity to visit the completed church, the congregation mad a promise to place a stain glass window at the west end of the church, overlooking the St. Johns River in honor of their early benefactors. Admires of the Stowes from all over the world contributed towards the purchase of this window. It was not until 1916 that the impoverished congregation as able to raise enough money to fulfill their promise. The famous stain glass artist Louis Tiffany, who greatly admired the Stowes, created the beautiful window, practically at cost. It represented the oak tress that stood in front of the Stowe home against the river at sunset. It became a popular tourist attraction. At times the offering box that received visitor’s donations was the chief income for the church as it struggled through the Great Depression and World War II.
Tragically, the window was destroyed on September 9, 1964, when a large tree was snapped by the winds of Hurricane Dora and fell across the building. The window was damaged beyond repair.